Police are hunting arsonists who torched two cars outside the same house in the space of three days.
In the first attack, at about 3am on Thursday 23 August 2012, police were called to a Vauxhall Astra set alight on Reeves Road, Chorlton-cum-Hardy. At the time it was believed an electrical fault had caused the fire.
However, three days later, at about 2am on Sunday 26 August 2012, a Mercedes 180, parked outside the same house, was set alight. As in the previous incident the fire brigade were called and extinguished the fire.
However, on this occasion accelerant had been used to start the fire. No-one was injured in either incident.
Officers believe both fires were deliberate and are linked. Both cars were owned by the same family.
Detective Constable Doug Cowan, of South Manchester CID, said: "The family have no idea why this has happened to them and are deeply upset about it.
"There is nothing whatsoever to suggest there is any further background to this so, as you can imagine, the family are also completely perplexed.
"I want to reassure them that we are linking both fires and have conducted extensive inquiries to establish who could be responsible.
"Some neighbours have told us they heard the sound of someone running away after the second incident so I want to make a direct appeal now to anyone who may have seen someone running along Reeves Road, or nearby, on either night.
"Residents are quite rightly concerned that this has happened in their midst, but they need to know we are determined to catch those responsible."
Anyone with information is asked to call South Manchester CID on 0161 856 6182 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.